Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Have a guess as to where I am in the world...? I have allowed myself to let go of my many responsibilities and travel even further away from my home and the Far East in order to frolic in the waves of respite and relaxation. It has been months since I last had a prolonged period of time to myself, experiencing the world through my unadulterated eyes, and discovering a new land.

Though Christmas is only a few days away, I am once again on the Southern Hemisphere and couldn't feel further away from the scorching fires, roasted marshmallows and goblets of mulled wine that I gave become so accustomed to. Instead I lie under the baking sun, dashing in and out of the tumbling waves, cooing in awe and wonder at the flora and fauna this vast country has to offer.

Have you worked out where I am yet?

It reminds me of my homeland: a yellow grass, 
Baked by an unrelenting sun, warms the morning 
To an almost unbearable heat, so that the midday has
An eerie silence of bodies hiding in the shade, waiting
For a distraction, to think of anything other than the heat.
Though similar, it has a more cultured heritage, a pride,
An arrogance, judging all those who dare appear uninvited.
Compared to my homeland, where I am now makes me thankful,
For all that I have and the future I am offered. No fear, I can speak.

Travel if you can darlings - at worst you'll have fond memories. At best you'll have your mind opened.


D. S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment