Saturday, May 29, 2010

An impromptu visit home has been far more beneficial than I thought it would be. I feel so much more healthy and relaxed with the prospect of summer just around the corner. How I wish I had more to look forward to than spending the season in the North trying to be the epitome of the 'accomplished woman'.

I can't believe how much I am appreciating being home; I didn't realise how stressed I was and what with all the ridiculous theatrics that have become overwhelming I guess it's not that surprising! My Mother of course is harping on at me to catch a husband, as if it were that simple, and that sounds so unappealing, as if I'd have to wrestle with a fish! At least she acquiesced to my horror at the thought of an arranged marriage. I am only twenty, marriage hardly enters my thoughts - only love... Lust.

Speaking of which, my parents have taken on the task of expanding the South Wing and the entire manor is crawling with delectable specimens of the male form. The Head Architect has definitely managed to capture my attention, although I don't think Mother would approve if I started fraternising with the staff... But of course that makes it so much more tempting.

The Marquessa and I had lunch together yesterday, she is just back from her travels in Ireland. Unfortunately the suspicious situation with her family has been ignored rather than resolved, and that they are moving location yet again makes me worry about their finances. How I wish I could convince her to move up North with me just for the rest of the season!

Correspondence with the Duke has dwindled, I supposed I should be grateful as it means he doesn't conquer my thoughts nor cloud my judgements, yet if I thought there were a chance maybe I wouldn't make so many rash decisions... However, I do know that he is making a pilgrimage with his sister from John O'Groats to Land's End. Hopefully I will be able to appear with the final entourage as he arrives at his final destination, I might even get to meet the competition.

I am looking forward to my final stay up North, though I know that the majority of people won't be around, but maybe that will be a blessing in disguise?




D. S.

1 comment: