Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I am writing from the freezing temperatures of Bavaria with the Duke of Albany resting his head on my stomach as we warm ourselves after a day in the snow. We have visited distant relations in various palaces in between dodging the heavy snowfall that has yet to relent. 

It is so wonderful to have the Duke to myself again, truly we have the time to appreciate each other when on the Continent and for the next few days there is nothing to distract us from our more hedonistic lifestyle. It's lovely to be somewhere new again and I've made my gratitude to the Duke well known; I still can't believe he kept this a secret from me for all those weeks! 



Bavaria reminds me of the City of A Hundred Spires where I spent much of my early romance with the Duke. It too is a stunning city with buildings to inspire my writing, with a rich history that one couldn't have imagined, but more than anything it reminds me of why I love to travel and to live abroad. 

The Duke and I have given it much thought and though we are not sure whether or not we shall stay in the Northern counties for another year or so, there is talk of moving abroad again, which gives me much hope. I know there was a time when I wanted to call one country my home, but it seems I have a nomadic heart and as long as I have my Duke with me, I feel that I could take on the world. 

And why shouldn't I?

I plan on fulfilling these resolutions for next year... I'm not as perfect as I often claim, and what is life if not striving for a more fantastical year ahead. 

1. To travel to cities with friends and make memories. 

2. To save some money for the future... I cannot keep living this hedonistic lifestyle without recompense, for indeed I have fear of the debt collectors keeping me from my first resolution! 

3. To be happier and more patient. Though they are not one and the same I do believe that counting to ten before reacting will give me a little more peace of mind and essentially more happiness. 

4.  To work a little harder in everything I start. Whether that be writing, teaching, studying, research, I fully intend to give it my utmost. 

These are my new resolutions, and if you know me at all, I believe they are completely justified. 

Are yours? 


D. S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment